Borderlands 4 will have individual difficulty settings for co-op players

Earlier this week, 2K announced that it will release Borderlands 4 on September 12 — 11 days earlier than planned. Now, we’re getting another look at the latest in Gearbox’s series, including new features and a full-length gameplay trailer.  

One of the most interesting tidbits announced is that Borderlands 4 will offer individual difficulty settings in co-op multiplayer. So, one person could play on easy and another on hard while still maintaining fluid gameplay. It’s a cool option if you want to play with great gamers but not face the same intense challenges. 

Along with the new trailer, you can also watch a 20-minute deep dive into the game, if you so please. The State of Play presentation from creative director Graeme Timmins and senior project producer Anthony Nicholson shows “the nitty-gritty details of how you’ll wreak havoc across Kairos and take down the Timekeeper.” 

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/gaming/playstation/borderlands-4-will-have-individual-difficulty-settings-for-co-op-players-121626097.html?src=rss 

Court orders Apple to stop collecting fees for purchases made outside the App Store

Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers has ruled that Apple violated her own ruling back in 2021 on the lawsuit Epic Games filed against Apple a year before. Now, it’s ordering (PDF) Apple to stop collecting commissions on purchases that weren’t paid through the App Store effective immediately. In 2021, Gonzalez Rogers ruled that Apple did not hold an App Store monopoly. However, she also said that the company must allow developers to direct users to other payment systems that would let them bypass the 30 percent commission fee it collects from App Store purchases. 

In a legal filing by Epic Games last year, it accused Apple of non-compliance, since it still took a 27 percent cut for purchases made outside the App Store and even showed users pop-up screens warning them that paying outside its own store may not be secure. For members of the iOS Small Business Program, it took a smaller 12 percent commission. But the judge explained in her new ruling that Apple wasn’t supposed to collect any fee at all. “Apple sought to maintain a revenue stream worth billions in direct defiance of this court’s injunction,” she said. 

In addition to prohibiting Apple from collecting fees for external purchases, she also barred the company from showing users “scare screens” discouraging them from using third-party payment systems. She prohibited Apple from creating rules that would prevent developers from presenting customers with buttons and links for external payments, as well. Apple said it will pursue an appeal, but that it will comply with the court’s orders. “We strongly disagree with the decision. We will comply with the court’s order and we will appeal,” an Apple spokesperson told The New York Times

In her ruling, Rogers said that the documents Apple submitted last year showed that App Store lead Phil Schiller advocated for the company to stop collecting fees on web links during a 2023 meeting. But Apple’s former Chief Financial Officer Luca Maestri convinced Tim Cook otherwise. Cook also asked his people to revise the scare screen for web links “to reference the fact that Apple’s privacy and security standards do not apply to purchases made on the web.” Apple knew exactly what it was doing and “at every turn chose the most anticompetitive option,” Gonzalez Rogers wrote. Further the company’s Vice-President of Finance, Alex Roman, allegedly lied under oath to hide the truth. Thus, the judge has asked the US attorney for the Northern District of California to investigate Apple and Roman for criminal contempt.

In a tweet, Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney announced that it will bring back Fortnite for iOS in the US next week. He also promised to return Fortnite to the App Store worldwide — and to drop any lawsuit covering the issue — if Apple applies a commission-free tax-free payment framework everywhere.

We will return Fortnite to the US iOS App Store next week.

Epic puts forth a peace proposal: If Apple extends the court’s friction-free, Apple-tax-free framework worldwide, we’ll return Fortnite to the App Store worldwide and drop current and future litigation on the topic. https://t.co/bIRTePm0Tv

— Tim Sweeney (@TimSweeneyEpic) April 30, 2025

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/big-tech/court-orders-apple-to-stop-collecting-fees-for-purchases-made-outside-the-app-store-110036376.html?src=rss 

The BBC used AI (and an actor) to bring Agatha Christie to life for its writing masterclass series

The BBC announced a new addition to its Maestro series of masterclasses, featuring its first posthumous teacher, Agatha Christie, presenting her writing tips in 4K video. The best-selling author of literature in human history teaches an 11-lesson course on writing mysteries, and the BBC seems very aware of the issues circling AI, which provokes a mix of intrigue and, honestly, wariness.

Christie, who died in 1976, has had her likeness composited through a blend of licensed images, limited footage and past audio recordings. That data has been blended with actor Vivien Keene, who ‘performs’ the words of Christie on video. This is a more cautious approach. During a Q&A event at the course’s launch in London, Keene stated outright that this was a performance. It seems a particularly risky choice, too: a lot of writers, editors, and authors are facing AI tools that reduce job opportunities or absorb their writing (and IP) without permission to train AI models.

Image by Mat Smith for Engadget

The BBC says all the writing advice comes directly from her writings, author’s notes and archival interviews, curated by leading Christie experts and scholars, including Dr Mark Aldridge, Michelle Kazmer, Gray Robert Brown and Jamie Bernthal-Hooker. One of the stipulations from the Christie estate was that all the writing tips and guidance come directly from her. The makers claim that AI hasn’t filled in the gaps or made guesses about her writing style, or what advice she might give.

The BBC’s Maestro series is part of the company’s business arm, offering over 40 courses in the style of Masterclass but with, obviously a lot more Brits, priced at $10 per month. (Don’t let the fact that the Diary of a CEO guy is there put you off – the Billy Connolly course is excellent.) 

However, for this course, the team ballooned to over 100 people, factoring AI rendering experts, sound engineers and more, to deliver a convincing portrayal of the author of Murder on the Orient Express, Mousetrap and, well, all the others.

Image by Mat Smith for Engadget

During the Q&A (at the glamorous Claridges hotel, of course), Dr. Mark Aldridge explained that in A Murder’s Announced, Christie had a different murderer in mind when she first began writing that book – something vital if you’re trying to convey her writing process. This could then be folded into the course guidance and content.

At the launch event – with almost enough champagne to fill the Nile – I got to delve into the lessons. I’m not ready to pen a 50,000-word page-turner, it’s a convincing facsimile. There’s still a glint of uncanny valley, of course, (I think it’s something to do with the eyes?), but even BBC Maestro CEO Michael Levine noted that since the project’s inception a few years ago, the technology had evolved so quickly that the team was able to do even more than it first thought.

Levine joked that the only books that rivaled sales of Christie’s body of work by sheer volume are the works of Shakespeare and The Bible. There are no plans yet to add further ‘resurrected’ experts to the Maestro lineup.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/ai/agatha-christie-ai-bbc-maestro-masterclass-writing-course-hands-on-120010944.html?src=rss 

Meta is a mulling ads and a ‘premium’ version of its AI assistant, Mark Zuckerberg says

One day after Meta rolled out its standalone AI app, Mark Zuckerberg has shared more about how the company plans to eventually monetize its generative AI assistant. During the company’s first quarter earnings call, Zuckerberg said Meta AI could one day show ads and product recommendations. He also hinted at plans for a subscription component for those who want a more “premium” version of the assistant.

“I think that there will be a large opportunity to show product recommendations or ads, as well as a premium service for people who want to unlock more compute for additional functionality or intelligence,” Zuckerberg said.

He added that for now the company is more focused on growing Meta AI’s usage. (He announced yesterday that Meta Ai had reached “almost” 1 billion monthly users.) “I expect that we’re going to be largely focused on scaling and deepening engagement for at least the next year before we’ll really be ready to start building out the business here,” he said.

Zuckerberg’s comments — just one day after Meta introduced its standalone AI app — underscores how important the assistant is to the company. The Facebook founder has repeatedly said he wants Meta AI to be the most used AI assistant in the world, and he said on Wednesday’s call that a standalone app would be particularly important for attracting US users.

Meta’s strategy for monetizing the assistant in many ways mirrors its approach to Threads, which only just began expanding its early experiments with ads this month long after it reached hundreds of millions of users. Speaking of Threads, Zuckerberg also shared some new milestones for Threads, saying that text-based app now has 350 million monthly active users and that time spent on the platform has increased 35 percent over the last six months thanks to improvements to the company’s recommendations systems.

Later in the call, Meta’s CFO Susan Li shared that the company has also been testing its Llama model to power Threads’ recommendations and that the addition of the large language model has led to a 4 percent increase in time spent. “It remains early here, but a big focus this year will be on exploring how we can deploy this for other content types, including photos and videos,” she said.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/social-media/meta-is-a-mulling-ads-and-a-premium-version-of-its-ai-assistant-mark-zuckerberg-says-225202560.html?src=rss 

Mohsen Mahdawi: About the Columbia University Student Threatened With Deportation

Mahdawi, a legal U.S. resident and Columbia University student, was freed from federal immigration custody on bail after a judge ordered his release.

Mahdawi, a legal U.S. resident and Columbia University student, was freed from federal immigration custody on bail after a judge ordered his release. 

Mark Zuckerberg ‘predicts’ AI will write most of Meta’s code within 12 to 18 months

Mark Zuckerberg says he believes most of the Meta’s code will be written by AI agents sometime within the next year-and-a-half. Zuckerberg made the prediction during an hour-long interview with podcaster Dwarkesh Patel. 

“I would guess sometime in the next 12 to 18 months, we’ll reach the point where most of the code that’s going towards these efforts is written by AI,” said Zuckerberg, referring to the company’s efforts to build internal AI agents. “And I don’t mean like autocomplete… I’m talking more like you give it a goal, it can run tests, it can improve things, it can find issues, it writes higher quality code than the average very good person on the team already.” 

Meta CEO, Mark Zuckerberg:

“within 12-18 months, most of the code is written by AI”

It won’t just be autocomplete.

AI agents will set goals, run tests, find problems, and write better code than top engineers. pic.twitter.com/2del08UA45

— Haider. (@slow_developer) April 29, 2025

This is not the first time Zuckerberg has made this type of prediction. During his awkward appearance on The Joe Rogan Experience earlier this year, he said, “Probably in 2025, we at Meta, as well as the other companies that are basically working on this, are going to have an AI that can effectively be a sort of mid-level engineer that you have at your company that can write code.” 

Notice how the goal posts have moved. Less than five months ago, Zuckerberg said coding agents that could effectively replace most human programmers were within reach. Now, those same systems will not arrive by mid-2026 at the earliest.

The changing timelines underscore exactly why we should be critical of the AI industry and its many promises. AI agents may very well one day replace mid-level programmers, but right now predictions like the one made by Zuckerberg and many others are, at best, advertisements for technologies that don’t yet exist and may never perform at the level their advocates say they will. 

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/ai/mark-zuckerberg-predicts-ai-will-write-most-of-metas-code-within-12-to-18-months-213851646.html?src=rss 

Google is funding electrician training to help meet the power demands of AI

Google has announced that it’s helping to financially support the electrical training ALLIANCe (etA), an organization formed by the National Electrical Contractors Association and the International Brotherhood of Electricians. The goal is to train “100,000 electrical workers and 30,000 new apprentices in the United States” to meet the growing power demands of AI.

Using AI will unlock unspecified, but positive economic opportunities, Google’s new white paper, “Powering a New Era of American Innovation,” claims. In order to take advantage of them, though, the US power grid needs to become more capable and efficient. That’s largely because the data centers used to run and train AI models require vast amounts of energy. The white paper claims that new data centers could demand an additional “15-90 GW” of energy by 2030, something that more efficient chips and model training can’t account for. For a sense of the scale, the US Department of Energy says 1 Gigawatt is the equivalent to 103 offshore wind turbines. 

Google’s paper calls for investments in alternative energy sources like nuclear power, but also notes that expanding the electrical workforce is necessary. “McKinsey estimates that 130,000 additional electricians will be needed by 2030 to build out data centers and manufacturing facilities,” the company writes. Currently, though, retiring electricians outnumber newly trained ones. “Nearly 10,000 American electricians either retire or change careers each year, while only about 7,000 new entrants join the field.”

Investing in electrical training is Google’s attempt to help change that. It would be nice if it was paired with a clearer explanation around what that AI will be doing with all that extra power — Google notes that there’s a “causal relationship between energy consumption and economic growth” — but skilled job training isn’t a bad thing.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/big-tech/google-is-funding-electrician-training-to-help-meet-the-power-demands-of-ai-221320678.html?src=rss 

YouTube will blur the thumbnails of ‘mature’ videos as part of a new test

YouTube is testing a new feature that will blur the thumbnails of videos that appear in search results that “frequently include sexual themes,” the platform announced in the Community section of the YouTube Help Center. The experimental feature is currently being tested on a small percentage of users, Youtube says.

The hope is that by blurring thumbnails, YouTube can provide search results that include videos that technically abide by its Community Guidelines, but protect users from seeing content that’s possibly “sensitive in nature.” YouTube’s post doesn’t get into specifics of what will trigger a blurred thumbnail, but does note that “the video title, channel name, and description will remain visible” even if a thumbnail is obscured. Users who have the feature will also be able to disable thumbnail blurring if they want.

YouTube offers a Restricted Mode for screening out mature content, but a more apt comparison for this experimental feature might be the SafeSearch settings in Google Search. SafeSearch lets you completely filter out “explicit images, text, and links,” show all relevant results or blur explicit images, while allowing explicit text and links through. Considering YouTube’s position 20 years in as both a backbone of the internet and a de facto television replacement, this seems like a common sense feature to have.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/big-tech/youtube-will-blur-the-thumbnails-of-mature-videos-as-part-of-a-new-test-202546425.html?src=rss 

Michael Bolton’s Kids: Everything To Know About His 3 Adult Daughters

Michael Bolton is a music icon – and a proud father to three adult daughters. Get to know all about the family behind the ‘How Am I Supposed To Live Without You’ singer.

Michael Bolton is a music icon – and a proud father to three adult daughters. Get to know all about the family behind the ‘How Am I Supposed To Live Without You’ singer. 

PlayStation Plus monthly games for May include Balatro and Ark: Survival Ascended

There are some cool games coming to PlayStation Plus in May, including one modern classic. This month’s titles include the universally-beloved Balatro, Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun and Ark: Survival Ascended. All three games will be available to PS Plus members beginning on May 6.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve likely heard of Balatro. It’s sort of a sequel to poker and sort of a roguelike. It’s also utterly hypnotic and addictive. I’ve yet to find a human who didn’t become entranced by its simple and captivating gameplay. We have given this game lots of love, and with good reason. To play Balatro is to love Balatro and, over time, to start dreaming about insane combos. This is an absolute must-play for subscribers. It’ll be available for both PS4 and PS5.

Ark: Survival Ascended is a remake of 2015’s Ark: Survival Evolved that has been “reimagined from the ground-up with Unreal Engine 5.” There’s new graphics, a new physics system and tons of quality-of-life upgrades. This version includes access to all DLC, like Scorched Earth, Aberration, Extinction, Ark Genesis Part 1 and Ark Genesis Part 2. It also allows for public online multiplayer for up to 70 players and local split-screen for two players. This one’s only for PS5.

Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun is a FPS set in the popular Warhammer universe. It boasts visuals inspired by classic shooters from the 1990s, with an eclectic arsenal of weapons to match. The levels are huge, the enemies are fun to mow down and the gameplay is speedy. What’s not to like? It’ll be playable on PS4 and PS5.

Now for some bad news. As new stuff comes to PS Plus, old games get shuttled to that farm upstate. Subscribers only have until May 5 to download titles like RoboCop: Rogue City and Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth – Hacker’s Memory to their game libraries.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/gaming/playstation/playstation-plus-monthly-games-for-may-include-balatro-and-ark-survival-ascended-172617683.html?src=rss 

Generated by Feedzy
Exit mobile version