Ford will raise Mustang Mach-E prices in part due to tariffs

It’s earnings season, and automakers are warning investors about the impact tariffs will have on vehicle pricing. As first reported by Reuters, the cost of Ford’s Mustang Mach-E, Ford’s electric SUV, could rise by as much as $2,000 on some models.

Ford manufactures the Mach-E as well as other non-electric models in Mexico, which are now tariffed when sold in the United States. Aside from the Mach-E, Ford estimates that it will take a $1.5 billion hit from current tariff policy.

The Trump administration has long insisted that tariffs are not paid for by the American consumer, and while the company made clear it was absorbing some of the increased cost, it could not absorb all of it.A Ford spokesperson told Reuters that the price increase is partly due to typical mid-year repricing “combined with some tariffs we are facing. We have not passed on the full cost of tariffs to our customers.”

Despite the administration’s partial acquiescence to automakers last week in softening the blow on auto tariffs, EV makers Rivian and Lucid have said higher costs are coming. Rivian’s CEO shared that he expects vehicle pricing to rise by “a couple of thousand dollars,” while Lucid’s interim CEO said the company was expecting an 8 to 15 percent increase in overall costs due to tariffs.

While EVs have not specifically been the target of these tariffs, this administration has been unusually hostile towards them, and has worked to reverse government-funded EV initiatives, like subsidized expansions to charging infrastructure. Making matters worse, Speaker of the House Brian Johnson all but confirmed to Bloomberg recently that Congress is likely to end the EV tax credit saying, “I think there is a better chance we kill it than save it, but we’ll see how it comes out.”

It’s been posited by industry analysts that Tesla may have the least to lose (and could perhaps even gain) from the current administration’s anti-EV stance, with Elon Musk even saying as such. This is in part due to the outsized effect tariffs will have on competing EV manufacturers like Ford, while Tesla’s substantial domestic production keeps the company mostly insulated.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/transportation/evs/ford-will-raise-mustang-mach-e-prices-in-part-due-to-tariffs-164323546.html?src=rss 

The DEA abandons bodycams after only four years

“We welcome the addition of body-worn cameras and appreciate the enhanced transparency and assurance they provide,” a then-DEA official wrote in a 2021 press release. So much for that. ProPublica published an investigative report on Tuesday that details how the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) under the Trump administration has abandoned its bodycam program.

The DEA announced the change internally through an email, viewed by ProPublica. However, the agency never made a formal announcement or any public acknowledgment of its about-face.

The DEA’s email said it made the change to be “consistent” with Trump’s “Initial Rescissions Of Harmful Executive Orders And Actions” order, signed on Inauguration Day. The action rescinded 78 Biden-era executive orders, including the one that expanded federal law enforcement’s use of body cameras.

ProPublica notes that the “consistent” rationale for bailing on the program is questionable. Although Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) beat the DEA to the punch in abandoning bodycams — shocker! — other DOJ agencies still use them. These include the US Marshals Service and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF).

Axon

The common sentiment is that bodycams’ sole purpose is to keep law enforcement officers from abusing power. But that’s only part of the equation. It also protects them. “The vast majority of times I viewed body camera footage is based on allegations from a defense attorney about what a cop did,” David DeVillers, a former US attorney for the Southern District of Ohio, told ProPublica. “And I would say 95 percent of the time it absolves the cop of wrongdoing.”

Studies have consistently found that body cameras correlate with reduced complaints against officers. However, it isn’t clear whether that’s from people filing fewer frivolous complaints or because officers with cameras behave better. Regardless, the DEA’s positive framing of the devices from four years ago is backed by data.

The DOJ began requiring federal agents to wear bodycams in 2021. At that time, George Floyd’s murder and the resulting protests were still fresh on people’s minds. “Law enforcement is at its most effective when there is accountability and trust between law enforcement and the community,” then-Attorney General Merrick Garland wrote that September.

Meanwhile, a lucrative contract suggests the DEA’s abandonment flies in the face of one of the Trump administration’s stated priorities. In 2021, the DOJ inked a $30.4 million deal with Axon to use its cameras and software for the federal program. Axon says the contract is still active, and around five-sixths of the sum is still due. Funny how selective one can be in pursuing “government efficiency.”

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/cameras/the-dea-abandons-bodycams-after-only-four-years-172843162.html?src=rss 

The Golden Globes will start giving an award to the best podcast of the year

The Golden Globes is expanding beyond film and TV with a new category. It will dole out an award for the best podcast of the year starting at next January’s ceremony. Organizers told Variety that the idea was to recognize the influence and reach of podcasts within the spectrum of entertainment.

Six finalists will be selected from the 25 most popular podcasts across audio and video formats (sorry, middle-aged dads who spent hundreds of dollars on recording gear to grouse about their team in their basement studios). So it’s likely that more celebrities could appear on the show.

Amy Poehler and Trevor Noah have podcasts that are among the 25 largest in the US on Spotify. SmartLess — the show hosted by actors Jason Bateman, Will Arnett and Sean Hayes — is on the list too. As such, the best podcast award feels like a ploy by the Golden Globes to get more stars on the show, which would make it quite funny if, say, The Daily won instead.

It feels like an odd move for the Golden Globes (which started handing out an award for Cinematic and Box Office Achievement last year) to wade into the podcasting world. Still, it’s nice to see a mainstream awards ceremony shining a spotlight on podcasts. There are dedicated awards shows for podcasts, but the Golden Globes is putting them on a bigger stage.

Other awards shows have been refining their category lineups. We’ll soon start seeing a long-overdue category for stunt work at the Oscars. On the other hand, it was a little disappointing to see the Emmy for short-form animated program being cut last year due to a drop in submissions.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/entertainment/the-golden-globes-will-start-giving-an-award-to-the-best-podcast-of-the-year-154905589.html?src=rss 

The next Battlefield game will launch sometime before April 2026

Electronic Arts has confirmed that the next Battlefield game will be revealed this summer, ahead of a launch date some time before April 2026. The news was shared in the company’s Q4 and and financial year 2025 results, published this week.

EA CEO Andrew Wilson called the latest installment in the long-running first-person shooter series a “pivotal step in delivering on our next generation of blockbuster entertainment” and recommitted to a previously announced FY26 release window for the currently untitled game. That means it can’t launch any later than March 2026, when EA’s fiscal year ends.

A launch date before April next year would mean the new Battlefield game will get a bit of room to breathe before the recently delayed Grand Theft Auto 6, which is supposed to arrive on May 26, 2026. Like every other publisher on the planet, EA has likely factored GTA 6 into its own upcoming launch plans for a number of titles. Eurogamer reported earlier this year that Wilson had admitted a willingness to delay games in order to get out of the way of the (unnamed, but heavily implied) competition.

The most recent Battlefield game was 2021’s Battlefield 2042, to which EA has steadily added new content. Back in February, EA launched Battlefield Labs, a community testing initiative that allows registered fans to playtest and give feedback on series fundamentals such as combat, destruction, vehicles and map designs.

EA also confirmed in an investor call that it currently has no plans to increase the price of its games, following the recent Xbox price hike and Nintendo making the decision to charge a whopping $80 for Mario Kart World on its upcoming Switch 2.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/gaming/the-next-battlefield-game-will-launch-sometime-before-april-2026-161521602.html?src=rss 

Black Mirror’s Bandersnatch is leaving Netflix for good

Netflix has been gradually culling its library of interactive content for a while now, but Black Mirror’s Emmy award winning Bandersnatch was one of the few survivors. Until now. As spotted by What’s on Netflix, the choose-your-own-adventure film set in a fictional game development studio will be leaving the service globally on May 12.

At the beginning of December 2024, only four of Netflix’s “Interactive Specials” remained, of which Bandersnatch was one. As of today there are only two left. The other is Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Kimmy vs. The Reverend, which first debuted back in 2020 and is also being removed imminently.

Netflix’s first interactive effort was 2017’s Puss in Book: Trapped in an Epic Tale, but Bandersnatch, which arrived the following year, was the first to be targeted at an adult audience, and arguably the company’s most successful of these experiments. Set in the UK in the mid-80s, it follows a young programmer who sets out to adapt a dark fantasy novel into a story-driven video game, before things inevitably take a dark turn. The film featured multiple endings and branching paths based on the decisions you made, and went on to win two Primetime Emmy Awards.

Which probably leaves you wondering why Netflix is getting rid of it. Back in December, company spokesperson Chrissy Kelleher told The Verge that the technology had “served its purpose, but is now limiting as we focus on technological efforts in other areas.”

Actual video games still feature prominently in the overhauled Netflix TV app, which the company has been working on since last year and will roll out over the coming weeks and months. It is also experimenting with a vertical video feature on mobile that will include clips and trailers, presumably to appeal more to the native TikTok audience. Just don’t expect to see Bandersnatch in there.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/entertainment/tv-movies/black-mirrors-bandersnatch-is-leaving-netflix-for-good-144518207.html?src=rss 

Apple’s M4 Mac mini is more than $100 off at Amazon

Apple’s latest diminutive desktop, the M4 Mac mini, is on sale via Amazon for more than $100 off. That brings the price of the entry-level model down to just $495. This version includes 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD. The 16GB/512GB model costs $743 and the 24GB/512GB model is down to $906. Even some of the versions with the slightly more powerful M4 Max chip are on sale.

The M4 Mac mini is a nice little upgrade. We called it “shockingly small” and “incredibly powerful” in our official review of the Pro model. Both of those descriptors stand. The mini is still cute and teensy and the M4 chip is still more than enough for everyday computing tasks and fully capable of more intensive applications.

There are some front-facing USB-C ports, which is always handy with a desktop, and support for up to three external displays. Even the entry-level version offers 16GB of RAM, which is great. The chip is faster than ever, making this an extremely budget-friendly way to get in on the Apple Silicon party.

There are a few more USB-C ports on the back, which is useful, but this unit offers no USB-A ports. The 256GB of storage offered by the base model could get a bit tight, but it’s certainly doable for more casual users. Plus, those ports are always available for an external SSD.

One curious design choice here is that the power button is along the bottom of the rear end. This can lead to some awkward movements when trying to turn it on, as it basically has to be tipped over. Otherwise, this is a great device.

Check out our coverage of the best Apple deals for more discounts, and follow @EngadgetDeals on X for the latest tech deals and buying advice.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/computing/apples-m4-mac-mini-is-more-than-100-off-at-amazon-151509626.html?src=rss 

New PlayStation studio teamLFG is working on a multiplayer action game

Sony has expanded its PlayStation Studios roster with teamLFG, which spun out from Bungie and is working on an “ambitious” incubation project. The studio is based in Bellevue, Washington (where Bungie’s HQ is), though some team members work remotely elsewhere in the US and Canada. The crew includes a mix of industry newcomers and veterans who have worked on the likes of Destiny, Halo, League of Legends, Fortnite and Roblox.

The focus of teamLFG will be on immersive multiplayer games. That’s perhaps not too much of a surprise given the veterans’ experience and that “LFG” stands for “looking for group,” a phrase used by players who are seeking teammates for multiplayer games.

Its first project takes place in “a lighthearted, comedic world set in [a] brand new mythic, science-fantasy universe.” The studio is taking inspiration from platformers, MOBAs, life sims, fighting games and elsewhere for its team-based action title. Since it’s an incubation project, the game is likely quite some time away from seeing the light of day.

Bungie went through a restructuring process last summer, which included 220 people being laid off as it narrowed its focus on Destiny and Marathon. To that end, the company spun out an incubation project to be housed under Sony’s umbrella, which turned out to be this.

The new studio aims to make “action games that players can learn, play and master for countless hours.” That certainly sounds like a live-service game, an area where Sony hasn’t had much luck over the last few years despite trying to focus on such titles. The company has canned several live-service games that were in development, including The Last of Us Online. And then there was the whole Concord disaster. Here’s hoping, for the sake of the workers at teamLFG, things go more smoothly this time around.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/gaming/playstation/new-playstation-studio-teamlfg-is-working-on-a-multiplayer-action-game-143020198.html?src=rss 

Generated by Feedzy
Exit mobile version