Amazon is already making a movie about the 2023 OpenAI and Sam Altman boardroom drama

Amazon’s MGM Studios is fast-tracking a movie called Artificial about OpenAI‘s 2023 boardroom drama that saw CEO Sam Altman fired and then rehired, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Luca Guadagnino (Challengers, After the Hunt) is in talks to direct and A-list actors including Andrew Garfield and Monica Barbero are reportedly interested. Shooting may start as soon as this summer in Italy and San Francisco. 

The timeline of OpenAI’s travails took place over just a week and unfolded like a telenovela. It commenced with the shocking termination of Altman on November 17, 2024, reportedly for not being “consistently candid” with the board. Microsoft, a close OpenAI partner, was furious with the decision and announced shortly afterward that it was starting its own AI division with Altman at the head. 

Later, the entire OpenAI staff told the board in an open letter that it would resign and join the new Microsoft subsidiary if Altman didn’t return to the company as CEO. Things were looking dire until the last minute when the board finally caved and hired Altman back. OpenAI’s original board was also disbanded and replaced with a temporary three-man board. 

With that level of corporate intrigue and hundreds of billions of dollars at stake, it’s easy to see why Amazon wants to be first with a movie on the subject. The movie could star Garfield as Altman, Barbero as CTO Mira Murati and Yura Borisov (Anora) as Ilya Sutskever, an OpenAI co-founder who spearheaded the charge to fire Altman.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/entertainment/amazon-is-already-making-a-movie-about-the-2023-openai-and-sam-altman-boardroom-drama-133030837.html?src=rss 

Samsung teases a Galaxy Z Fold Ultra

Samsung has published a blog post teasing the “next chapter of Ultra,” and it included an animation of a phone that clearly has the form factor of the Galaxy Z Fold. The phone’s silhouette folds out to show a device as big as a small tablet and then folds in again into the size of a phone. Samsung’s post was vague and didn’t give out specific details about the device, but it sounds like the company is cooking up a new product that has the capabilities of its Ultra range in the body of a Galaxy Z Fold. 

You can use voice controls on the phone while it’s folded to ask its AI assistant to text your family or friends and to find a restaurant you can eat at, Samsung said. You can finish unsent work emails, browse online, game or capture photos while the phone is in its folded state. Unfolded, it becomes an immersive entertainment hub or a workspace. Samsung said its Galaxy AI features will be designed specifically for the foldable form. 

It’s been rumored for a while now that the company is launching a tri-fold phone this year. The animation in the teaser didn’t show a tri-fold form factor, so unless this is a redirection by Samsung, it’s likely another device altogether. If it is indeed an Ultra version of the Galaxy Z Fold, we can only wait and see if Samsung will sell the ordinary Z Folds at a lower price or if it will add several hundred to its pricing for the Ultra variant. 

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/mobile/smartphones/samsung-teases-a-galaxy-z-fold-ultra-140020512.html?src=rss 

How to buy the Nintendo Switch 2

The Nintendo Switch 2 will be available to buy in the US starting tomorrow, June 5. It’s been a long time coming, and if you’re one of the lucky ones who managed to secure a pre-order, you’re likely hoping yours will arrive on launch day. For everyone else, the hunt for the Switch 2 continues. Pre-orders opened at the end of April, but since then, there have been basically no online restocks. That could change in the near future with launch day right around the corner, and some retailers have been gearing up to sell consoles on June 5 to customers in stores. If you’re still looking to get Nintendo’s latest console, here’s all the latest information on how to buy the Switch 2 and where you can get one.

Where to buy the Nintendo Switch 2

GameStop and Best Buy have midnight launch events planned, and both retailers have said they will have limited in-store stock available on June 5.

Walmart will have consoles for purchase online at midnight on June 5, and in stores the same day. Select super-centers in the Pacific, Mountain, Hawaii, and Alaska regions of the US will be open at midnight for in-store purchases.

While Target hasn’t announced midnight launch events, it has said it will have the console available for purchase in stores on launch day. The retailer will restock online inventory beginning early morning of June 6, while supplies last of course.

Costco will have the a Mario Kart World bundle that includes a 12-month Switch Online membership on sale on June 5, according to its website. However, it’s unclear if the big-box store will have consoles to purchase in store on launch day. And remember, you must have a Costco membership to shop there.

As of now, Amazon is the only retailer that doesn’t have some form of a Nintendo Switch 2 listing on its website. The company also did not take any pre-orders for the Switch 2 when the window opened at other retailers.

Where to buy Switch 2:

Walmart

GameStop

Best Buy

Target

Amazon

Where to buy Switch 2 + Mario Kart World bundle:

Walmart

GameStop

Best Buy

Target

Amazon

Costco (membership required)

Where to buy Nintendo Switch 2 games and accessories

Nintendo has a bunch of new, first-party accessories for the Switch 2, most of which will be available on June 5 along with the console. Same thing goes for games including Mario Kart World and the Switch 2 edition of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, while another big Switch 2 title, Donkey Kong Bananza, won’t be available until mid-July. Still, you can pre-order games that will not be out on launch day now, so that you’ll get them as soon as they actually become available.

Mario Kart World

Nintendo

Walmart

GameStop

Best Buy

Target

Amazon

Donkey Kong Bananza

Nintendo

Walmart

GameStop

Best Buy

Target

Amazon

Costco (membership required)

Additional Switch 2 games

Nintendo

Walmart

GameStop

Best Buy

Target

Amazon

Samsung microSD Express Card (256GB) for Nintendo Switch 2

Nintendo

Walmart

GameStop

Best Buy

Target

Amazon

Joy-Con 2 bundle

Nintendo

Walmart

GameStop

Best Buy

Target

Amazon

Switch 2 Pro Controller

Nintendo

Walmart

GameStop

Best Buy

Target

Amazon

Costco (membership required)

Switch 2 Camera

Nintendo

Walmart

GameStop

Best Buy

Target

Amazon

Hori Nintendo Switch 2 Piranha Plant Camera

Best Buy

Target

Amazon

Joy-Con 2 Charging Grip

Nintendo

Walmart

GameStop

Best Buy

Target

Amazon

Joy-Con 2 Wheels (set of 2)

Nintendo

Walmart

GameStop

Best Buy

Target

Amazon

Switch 2 All-in-One Carrying Case

Nintendo

Walmart

GameStop

Best Buy

Target

Amazon

Switch 2 Carrying Case and Screen Protector

Nintendo

Walmart

GameStop

Best Buy

Target

Amazon

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/gaming/nintendo/how-to-buy-the-nintendo-switch-2-120039147.html?src=rss 

Florida’s social media law has been temporarily blocked by a federal judge

A federal judge has temporarily blocked Florida’s new law that bans some children from using social media and requires parental consent for others, according to court documents. Judge Mark Walker ruled in favor of two tech organizations (NetChoice and the CCIA) representing social media organizations like Meta, Snap and X, saying that the state’s bill HB3 signed into law in March this year is “likely unconstitutional.” 

The law requires parent or guardian consent for 14- and 15-year-olds to make an account or use a pre-existing account on a social media platform, while children under 14 are banned altogether. Platforms must abide by requests to delete these accounts within five business days and each violation could result in a $10,000 fine. That increases to $50,000 per instance if it is ruled that the company participated in a “knowing or reckless” violation of the law.

“Floridians have the right to access lawful speech without the government controlling what they say, share or see online,” said NetChoice Director of Litigation, Chris Marchese.

The state of Florida tried to bypass normal first amendment free speech protections by employing the “narrowly tailored” rules, saying the law is designed to protect children from five addictive features of social media: push notifications, auto-play videos, live streaming, infinite scrolling and personal metrics. However, the judge ruled that the application is too broad in ways that have been shot down before by the Supreme Court. 

“As applied to Plaintiffs’ members alone, the law likely bans all youth under 14 from holding accounts on, at a minimum, four websites that provide forums for all manner of protected speech: Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Snapchat,” Judge Walker wrote. “It also bans 14- and 15-year-olds from holding accounts on those four websites absent a parent’s affirmative consent, a requirement that the Supreme Court has clearly explained the First Amendment does not countenance.”

Children could also be banned from social media even if the platforms created youth accounts without any of the five addictive features — as long as they were available for adults. The judge also called out the law’s specificities about the ability of a child to access a platform based on how much time all children spend on the app. 

The ruling does leave one provision in place. Social media companies are still required to “terminate any account held by a youth under 16 in the state upon the request of a parent or guardian,” as required by the bill. 

Yahoo, the parent company of Engadget, is a member of NetChoice.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/social-media/floridas-social-media-law-has-been-temporarily-blocked-by-a-federal-judge-123004847.html?src=rss 

What Days Does ‘Love Island’ Come Out? See When Each Episode Airs

The Villa gets hotter and hotter each year, and now that season 7 is here, find out when all new episodes of ‘Love Island USA’ come out each week.

The Villa gets hotter and hotter each year, and now that season 7 is here, find out when all new episodes of ‘Love Island USA’ come out each week. 

Who Is Sabrina Carpenter’s ‘Manchild’ About? See Theories

It looks like Sabrina’s about to drop another song of the summer — but who is it about? We’re breaking down what we know so far about ‘Manchild’ here.

It looks like Sabrina’s about to drop another song of the summer — but who is it about? We’re breaking down what we know so far about ‘Manchild’ here. 

Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune will stream next-day on Hulu and Peacock

Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune will have a new streaming home this fall. Sony Pictures Television has inked multi-year deals for the pair of iconic game shows to stream on Peacock, Hulu and Hulu on Disney+ in the US. The agreement includes both in-season syndicated episodes and library episodes. It’s a next-day deal, so broadcast channels are still the first spot to see the newest content. However, this remains a very exciting development for Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune fans, since it’s the first time currently syndicated seasons will be available on the major national streaming platforms.

Both shows will begin this new streaming arrangement in September, when Jeopardy! will start its 42nd season in syndication. The quiz show has amassed a whopping 45 Emmy Awards and was also honored with a Peabody Award. Wheel of Fortune will be going into its 43rd season in syndication this fall.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/entertainment/streaming/jeopardy-and-wheel-of-fortune-will-stream-next-day-on-hulu-and-peacock-225901653.html?src=rss 

TikTok now blocks search results for #SkinnyTok

TikTok no longer shows search results for the hashtag #SkinnyTok. Critics who supported this block said some videos with that label were promoting disordered eating and other unhealthy or risky diet behaviors. We’ve reached out to TikTok for comment on this development. 

France’s Minister of State for Digital Affairs Clara Chappaz was one of the politicians leading the pushback against this particular hashtag. She has been campaigning against #SkinnyTok with both French and EU regulators since April. “These videos promoting extreme thinness are revolting and absolutely unacceptable,” Chappaz said. “Digital tools are marvellous in terms of progress and freedom, but badly used they can shatter lives … the social networks cannot escape their responsibility.”

While blocking search results for potentially harmful hashtags is a positive step, it only places hurdles in the path of people who want to seek out similar videos. “Users are savvy,” Cornell University professor Brooke Erin Duffy told The New York Times. “They know how to work these platforms and how to evade their content moderation systems.”

A block on one hashtag is just the latest in TikTok’s piecemeal approach toward content that could encourage eating disorders. In 2020 it placed restrictions on ads that might “promote a negative or harmful body image,” such as fasting apps and weight loss supplements. TikTok began a partnership with the National Eating Disorder Association in 2021 to offer more resources for users with eating disorders. Later that year, it also introduced a new approach to the For You page in an effort to reduce the impact of watching too many repeated clips on a negative topic.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/social-media/tiktok-now-blocks-search-results-for-skinnytok-222836828.html?src=rss 

The gorgeous indie game Death Howl will have a new demo on June 9

A deck-building game with soulslike elements is an odd genre mashup, to say the least. But that’s what the three-person Danish studio The Outer Zone is creating with Death Howl. The second demo for the indie PC title launches next week on Steam.

The unusual blend of genres isn’t the game’s only hallmark. Death Howl also has a gorgeous art style and music to match its rich themes. You play as Ro, a hunter from a small tribe, who is grieving her son’s death. Mystical voices beckon her toward a spirit realm as she tries to bring him back. Ro’s adventure leads her on a journey of “love, loss and the slow path toward acceptance.”

The game’s deck-based combat will unlock various melee and ranged spell attacks. As you progress, you’ll craft cards built around your preferred tactical style. Meanwhile, shamanic totems will enhance your deck and buff up your strikes.

The Outer Zone / 11 Bit Studios

What makes it soulslike, besides being hard? Publisher 11 Bit Studios offered some insight on Reddit. “Initially, we thought about a different label for Death Howl,” the publisher wrote. “But as we played it more and brought in random testers, we noticed something surprising. The game, despite not being an action RPG, does feel like a soulslike. It evoked emotions similar to what you experience in a soulslike.” Meanwhile, the game’s difficulty reveals itself most in boss battles and side quests.

Death Howl doesn’t arrive until sometime later this year. But the second demo will be playable from June 9 to 16. Head to the game’s Steam page to check it out. In the meantime, you can watch its new trailer below.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/gaming/pc/the-gorgeous-indie-game-death-howl-will-have-a-new-demo-on-june-9-205057519.html?src=rss 

Tom Thibodeau’s Net Worth: How Much Money the Ex-Knicks Coach Has

Tom was the head coach of the New York Knicks for five seasons, and he signed a contract extension with the team less than a year before he was let go.

Tom was the head coach of the New York Knicks for five seasons, and he signed a contract extension with the team less than a year before he was let go. 

Generated by Feedzy
Exit mobile version