Sword of the Sea launches August 19

Giant Squid has announced that it’s latest game, Sword of the Sea, will come to PlayStation 5 and PC on August 19. It’ll also appear on PlayStation Plus from day one for Extra and Premium Subscribers. The fantasy adventure game marries surfing mechanics with the atmospherics of the developer’s previous games like Abzû and Journey

Giant Squid showed off more gameplay in a new trailer as part of PlayStation’s June 4 State of Play. “At its core, Sword of the Sea is all about surfing,” the developer wrote. “You’ll be carving your way across mysterious moving waves of sand on the ancient and powerful hoversword.” Other scenarios include dreamy ice-scapes and oceans full of flying dolphins. 

Giant Squid again teamed with creative director Matt Nava and composer Austin Wintory, who also worked on Abzû and Pathless. “As a surfer and snowboarder myself, I have felt the rush of movement and seen the beauty of nature in a way that only these extreme sports can deliver,” Nava wrote about Sword of the Sea. 

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/gaming/sword-of-the-sea-launches-august-19-120037636.html?src=rss 

Astro Bot is getting five new (and free) levels this July

Team Asobi is releasing five new levels for Astro Bot, and you can get all of them for free. The developer has announced that the brand new levels will drop on July 10 at 9AM Eastern time. Like the speedrun levels and the previous levels the developer released at no cost, the new ones will be part of the Vicious Void Galaxy. Four of the new levels are called Twin-Frog Trouble, Suck It Up, Handhold Havoc and High Inflation, but Team Asobi is keeping the last one a secret. Each one will come with its own Special Bot, including a “revengeful newcomer.” The developer also hinted that finishing all five levels will lead to “something really cool.”

Astro Bot is a 3D platformer, wherein you control a small robot named Astro across levels set in different galaxies and planets. It features unique and creative uses of the DualSense controller, such as having to hold down the analog triggers and physically tilting the device in order to move Astro’s spaceship. Team Asobi has released several free levels before these new ones since the game launched in late 2024, and so far, Astro Bot has over 90 levels that you can play. 

In addition to announcing the freebies at PlayStation State of Play, Team Asobi has also revealed that it’s launching an updated version of the Astro Bot Limited Edition DualSense wireless controller later this year. The developer promised more details in the future, but for now, you can see that the controller will come with Astro’s smiling eyes on its touchpad. 

Team Asobi / Sony

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/gaming/playstation/astro-bot-is-getting-five-new-and-free-levels-this-july-123008291.html?src=rss 

Project Defiant is Sony’s first wireless fight stick for PS5 and PC

Sony has just unveiled the first wireless fight stick designed by the company itself. It doesn’t have an official product name yet, but it’s currently codenamed Project Defiant. The arcade-style controller uses the PlayStation Link wireless technology to connect to the PS5 and the PC. Sony says the technology provides an ultra-low latency connection that enables “precise in-game response” to every press on its buttons and every movement on its joystick. Players can also plug the device into their PC or their console via a USB-C connection if they want to ensure that there’s no lag 

The company said it custom designed its controls and used “toolless interchangeable restrictor gates (square, circle, and octagon),” as well as mechanical switches for its buttons. Sony also used the same touch pad on the fight stick as the one found on the DualSense wireless controller. In addition to being able to control the action on screen, the stick has the ability to wirelessly wake up the PS5 by pressing the PS button in the same way a DualSense controller can. 

The fight stick has a storage compartment for its restrictor gates and the PS Link USB adapter. It also sounds like the device will ship with a sturdy carrying case, so you can take it safely with you when needed. Sony has yet to announce Project Defiant’s pricing and release date, but it’s planning to make the fight stick available for purchase sometime in 2026, perhaps in time for players to be able to use it to play Marvel Tōkon: Fighting Souls. The tag fighting game, which is also coming out next year, was developed by the studio behind the Guilty Gear franchise.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/gaming/playstation/project-defiant-is-sonys-first-wireless-fight-stick-for-ps5-and-pc-113009444.html?src=rss 

The best Nintendo Switch 2 accessories for 2025

Now that the Switch 2 is finally here, you may be equally as excited to kit out your new console with the right accessories as you are to dive into Mario Kart World. Not only can the right accessories make it easier and more fun to play all of the games you love, but they can also make your gaming experience better in different environments, be it on the couch, in an airplane or in the car. We’re excited to get our hands on some of the newest Switch 2 accessories (more on those below), but plenty of our favorite classics are compatible with the Switch 2 as well as older versions of the console. These are our current favorite Nintendo Switch 2 accessories, and we’ll add to this list over time as we test out new gear.

Best Nintendo Switch 2 accessories

More Nintendo Switch 2 accessories

Nintendo announced a bunch of new accessories when it revealed the Switch 2 earlier this year. Key among them are a new Switch 2 Pro controller, Switch 2 camera, an all-in-one carrying case and more. Our staff will be testing out a bunch of these accessories, and we’ll keep our favorites list up to date as we do so. If you’re interested in picking any of those new Switch 2 accessories up, you can find them at a variety of retailers:

Joy-Con 2 bundle

Nintendo

Walmart

GameStop

Best Buy

Target

Amazon

Switch 2 Pro Controller

Nintendo

Walmart

GameStop

Best Buy

Target

Amazon

Switch 2 Camera

Nintendo

Walmart

GameStop

Best Buy

Target

Amazon

Hori Nintendo Switch 2 Piranha Plant Camera

Best Buy

Target

Amazon

Joy-Con 2 Charging Grip

Nintendo

Walmart

GameStop

Best Buy

Target

Amazon

Joy-Con 2 Wheels (set of 2)

Nintendo

Walmart

GameStop

Best Buy

Target

Amazon

Switch 2 All-in-One Carrying Case

Nintendo

Walmart

GameStop

Best Buy

Target

Amazon

Switch 2 Carrying Case and Screen Protector

Nintendo

Walmart

GameStop

Best Buy

Target

Amazon

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/gaming/nintendo/best-nintendo-switch-2-accessories-070011952.html?src=rss 

Volvo is introducing the first multi-adaptive seatbelt technology on the EX60 EV

Volvo has introduced a new seatbelt technology that can customize the protection it provides in real time. The “multi-adaptive safety belt” system, as the automaker is calling it, uses data input from both interior and exterior sensors to change protection settings based on various factors. It can take a person’s height, weight, body shape and seating position into account, as well as the direction and speed of the vehicle. The system can communicate all those information to the seatbelt “in the blink of an eye” so that it can optimize protection for the passenger. 

If the passenger is on the larger side, for instance, they will receive a higher belt load setting to reduce the risk of a head injury in the event of a serious crash. For milder crashes, someone with a smaller frame will receive a lower belt load setting to prevent rib injuries. Volvo didn’t specifically say if the system also takes the position of a seatbelt on women into account, since it doesn’t always fit right over a woman’s chest. However, the automaker explained that the system expands the number of load-limiting profiles to 11. Load limiters control how much force a seatbelt applies on the body during a crash. Typically, seatbelts only have three load-limiting profiles, but Volvo expanding them to 11 means the system can better optimize the protection a passenger gets. 

Volvo used information from five decades of safety research and from a database of over 80,000 people involved in real-life accidents to design the new safety belt. The system was also created to incorporate improvements rolled out via over the-air software updates, which the company expects to release as it gets more data and insights. 

“The world first multi-adaptive safety belt is another milestone for automotive safety and a great example of how we leverage real-time data with the ambition to help save millions of more lives,” said Åsa Haglund, head of Volvo Cars Safety Centre. “This marks a major upgrade to the modern three-point safety belt, a Volvo invention introduced in 1959, estimated to have saved over a million lives.”

Volvo engineer Nils Bohlin designed the modern three-point seatbelt and made its patent available for use by other automakers. The company didn’t say whether it’ll be as generous with the multi-adaptive safety belt, but the new system will debut in the all-electric Volvo EX60 midsize SUV sometime next year.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/transportation/volvo-is-introducing-the-first-multi-adaptive-seatbelt-technology-on-the-ex60-ev-070017403.html?src=rss 

Wacom debuts three new Cintiq pen displays with slimmer designs and Pro Pen 3 support

Wacom’s Cintiq line of pen displays give designers and illustrators the ability to use a stylus directly on a screen in various creative apps. Today, the company announced its latest entries with the Cintiq 16, Cintiq 24 and Cintiq 24 Touch. All three feature a slimmer design than the previous models, including thinner bezels around the outside. The company also trimmed down the weight, making even the larger options lighter and more portable. 

The new Cintiq displays work with the Pro Pen 3 where the previous generation offered the Pro Pen 2. The third-gen version has a 12ms response time, 8,192 pressure levels, three programmable buttons, supports up to 60-degree tilt and can be used with various grips. You can also swap out the pen nibs for a different feel or add balance weights as needed. Inside, “an evolved IC chip from the Pro Pen 2” recreates the precise and natural feel of drawing on paper. It also doesn’t have a battery, so that’s one less thing you have to worry about charging. 

The display panels in each model offer 2.5K resolution (2560 x 1600 on the 16-inch, 2560 x 1440 on the 23.8-inch) and 60Hz refresh rate. Wacom touts its “true-to-life color” and anti-glare glass serves to both nix reflections and provide adequate friction for the Pro Pen 3. That latter item produces “a natural, paper-like drawing experience” when combined with the company’s powerful stylus. 

Wacom Cintiq 24

Wacom

You can expect USB-C, HDMI and USB-A ports around back, although the Cintiq 16 connects to a computer with a single USB-C cable (display signal and power delivery). The Cintiq 16 also comes with built-in foldable legs that allow the pen display to sit at a 20-degree angle. Both the Cintiq 24 and Cintiq 24 Touch come with an adjustable stand that offers more positions (you can purchase this stand separately for the Cintiq 16). 

In my experience, Wacom displays are at their best when touch gestures are involved. As the name suggests, those are only available on the Cintiq 24 Touch in this trio. This added functionality allows you to zoom, pan, rotate and more with your fingers, which makes your workflow more efficient. And on the Cintiq 24 Touch, you can use up to 10 fingers simultaneously for those tasks. 

The new Cintiq lineup will be available later this summer. The Cintiq 16 is $699.95, the Cintiq 24 is $1,299.95 and the Cintiq 24 Touch is $1,499.95

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/computing/accessories/wacom-debuts-three-new-cintiq-pen-displays-with-slimmer-designs-and-pro-pen-3-support-034647373.html?src=rss 

Marvel Tōkon: Fighting Souls is a new tag fighting game from the devs of Guilty Gear

“Avengers assemble” isn’t just a call to action for superheroes; it’s also the basis for a new tag fighting game. The reveal of Marvel Tōkon: Fighting Souls closed out PlayStation’s State of Play presentation ahead of Summer Games Fest 2025. PlayStation Studios and Marvel Games are teaming up with Arc System Works, the studio behind the Guilty Gear fighting game series, for this project. The game is scheduled to launch some time in 2026 on PlayStation 5 and on PC through the Steam and Epic stores.

The trailer shows several members of the Marvel roster — Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Doctor Doom, Storm, Ms. Marvel, Star-Lord and Ghost Rider — cycling on screen and showing off their abilities. Team-based fighting games have a long lineage, but those are commonly trios of characters controlled by a single competitor. Marvel Tōkon ups the ante with a 4v4 team system.

The additional team member creates even more potential for flashy combination attacks. “One of the appeals of Marvel comics is seeing the vast cast of characters coming together to create all kinds of unique team-ups,” Game Director and Lead Battle Designer Kazuto Sekine said of the design choice. “With these two ideas in mind, we concluded that creating a 4v4 team VS system would be the best way to not only create those over-the-top moments, but to further evolve the tag fighting genre.”

Marvel is having a bit of a moment in gaming, with the team shooter Marvel Rivals becoming a surprise sensation in recent months despite heavy competition from established titles. (Unfortunately, that success didn’t save several members of the North American dev team from being laid off in February.) It should be fascinating to compare how the two genres interpret the iconic characters and their powers.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/gaming/marvel-tokon-fighting-souls-is-a-new-tag-fighting-game-from-the-devs-of-guilty-gear-223633976.html?src=rss 

Belkin’s new line of Switch 2 accessories include a simple but effective charging case

Belkin is best known for high-quality smartphone accessories, but just like everyone else, it appears it has a case of Nintendo Switch 2 fever. The company has announced that it will be selling several Switch 2 accessories in time for the console’s launch, including screen protectors and a charging case that comes with a power bank.

The Charging Case for Nintendo Switch 2 is the thicker of Belkin’s two case options, primarily because it has a designated spot for an included 10K external battery. The case also includes a flap for storing Switch 2 game cartridges, a hidden pocket for slotting an AirTag so you can track the case if it’s lost and slots on either side of the battery for cables and other accessories. When you need to prop up your Switch 2 with its kickstand while it’s charging, there’s also a groove in the case that’s specifically designed to hold it.

Belkin

If you’re looking for something more compact and portable, the Travel Case for Nintendo Switch 2 is only moderately thicker than the console itself. Like the charging case, the travel case includes a built-in sleeve for Switch 2 game cartridges and a spot to hide an AirTag. It also has a built-in handle and a wrist strap so you have multiple ways to carry it when you’re out and about.

For an extra layer of protection, Belkin is also selling two different screen protector options: a Tempered Glass Anti-Reflective Screen Protector and a Tempered Glass Blue Light Screen Protector. Both will shield your Switch 2’s screen from major scratches and can be applied in a few steps. In the case of the blue light screen protector, Belkin is also claiming that it’ll help reduce eye strain if you use your console for an extended period of time. Whichever you pick, just don’t remove the Switch 2’s pre-installed protective film before you apply.

All of Belkin’s new accessories are available to order today from Belkin’s website and Amazon. You can get either the Charging Case or Travel Case in gray, tan or green, and the cases cost $70 or $30, respectively. The Tempered Glass Anti-Reflective Screen Protector costs $25 and the Tempered Glass Blue Light Screen Protector costs $30.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/gaming/nintendo/belkins-new-line-of-switch-2-accessories-include-a-simple-but-effective-charging-case-230019750.html?src=rss 

Suda51 returns with a sword-swinging, gun-slinging, sci-fi action game

Grasshopper Manufacture founder Suda51 made an appearance at Sony’s State of Play showcase to reveal Romeo is a Dead Man — a game that has no relation to the 2000 action masterpiece Romeo Must Die, as far as we can tell. Romeo is a Dead Man stars Romeo Stargazer, a dude who was pulled back from the brink of death, gained time-shattering powers, and became a universe-hopping special agent for the FBI. Using a sword and guns, Romeo battles various sci-fi robots and beasts across multiple universes, featuring hyper-bloody gameplay.

By the time I finished watching the debut trailer for Romeo is a Dead Man, I’d completely forgotten that it started out with a hand-drawn cartoon family enjoying a nice curry dinner. It quickly devolves into a black-, white- and red-splattered fever dream of exploding heads and doorway demons, providing the first hint that this is definitely a Suda51 project. Grasshopper Manufacture’s previous games include Killer7, No More Heroes, Lollipop Chainsaw and Killer is Dead, and its latest release seems to fit right in with these titles.

Romeo is a Dead Man is a third-person action game, and it’s due to hit PlayStation 5 in 2026.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/gaming/playstation/suda51-returns-with-a-sword-swinging-gun-slinging-sci-fi-action-game-214628508.html?src=rss 

Final Fantasy Tactics is getting a remake in The Ivalice Chronicles

Remasters and remakes seem like they’re a dime a dozen these days, but here’s one I’m selfishly pretty stoked for. Square Enix announced during PlayStation’s State of Play event that is revisiting the 1997 strategy RPG chapter from its famous franchise. Final Fantasy Tactics – The Ivalice Chronicles is due out on September 25, 2025 for both the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4.

This updated version of the turn-based strategy game introduces some welcome additions to the original. You’ll find new graphics, an updated user interface and voiced dialogue in the enhanced version. It also brings some quality of life improvements, such as a more beginner-friendly Squire difficulty level. But if you want to immerse in the nostalgia and the challenge, you can swap back to the original graphics, gameplay and English translation. The original version also boasts a few modern upgrades, like an auto-save system.

As someone who has clocked several hundred hours in the Fire Emblem series, I’ve always had Final Fantasy Tactics hovering in my to-play queue. Whether you’re a first-timer like me or are already well versed in the political intrigues of Tactics, this fall seems like an excellent change to check out the game.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/gaming/playstation/final-fantasy-tactics-is-getting-a-remake-in-the-ivalice-chronicles-215000718.html?src=rss 

Generated by Feedzy
Exit mobile version