OpenAI is shutting down its Sora video generation app

OpenAI is shutting down its Sora video generation app. “We’re saying goodbye to Sora,” the company wrote in a X post published Tuesday afternoon. For now, OpenAI has yet to say when the app and its related API service would become unavailable. Instead, promising to share those details at a later date.   

“We’ve decided to discontinue Sora in the consumer app and API. As we focus and compute demand grows, the Sora research team continues to focus on world simulation research to advance robotics that will help people solve real-world, physical tasks,” an OpenAI spokesperson told Engadget.  

We’re saying goodbye to Sora. To everyone who created with Sora, shared it, and built community around it: thank you. What you made with Sora mattered, and we know this news is disappointing.

We’ll share more soon, including timelines for the app and API and details on…

— Sora (@soraofficialapp) March 24, 2026

While today’s news might come as a surprise for some, there were warning signs Sora was heading in this direction since the start of the year. While Sora hit the top of the US App Store charts shortly after its debut, interest in the platform appears to have quickly fizzled out thereafter. At the start of 2026, data from analytics firm Appfigures suggested the app was seeing successive month-over-month declines in both new installs and user spending. In December alone, a time of year when most apps typically flourish, Sora reportedly saw a 32 percent decline in new downloads from November. 

The shutdown also aligns with OpenAI’s recent shift in strategy. Since the release of GPT-5.2, the company’s “code red” response to Google’s Gemini 3 Pro model, OpenAI has tried to court professionals like coders and data analysts with systems that excel in those domains, seeing enterprise customers as a route toward profitability. However, today’s shutdown does appear to come with an additional cost for OpenAI. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Disney is exiting the deal it signed with the AI lab at the end of last year, and won’t, as a result, invest $1 billion into it.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/ai/openai-is-shutting-down-its-sora-video-generation-app-211023358.html?src=rss 

Zoox is bringing its robotaxi to new cities and expanding coverage in Las Vegas and San Francisco

Zoox has announced plans to bring its robotaxi to Austin, Texas and Miami, Florida for the first time, along with offering expanded service in San Francisco and Las Vegas. The company formally launched its robotaxi service in September 2025, and shared earlier in March that it would begin testing in Dallas and Phoenix.

A “Zoox retrofitted testing fleet” has been operating in Austin and Miami since 2024, but offering rides with company’s purpose-built robotaxi — designed to be more of a rolling social space with seats facing each other — is an important step towards Zoox running its full service in both cities. At least to start, rides will be available in a small part of both cities and only for “Zoox employees, their families and friends,” but the company says it’ll expand who can hail a ride as testing continues.

For anyone who lives in San Francisco or Las Vegas, Zoox’s coverage area and options for pick-ups and drop-offs are also becoming more convenient. Zoox is now able to pick up riders from more locations in Las Vegas, including the Las Vegas Convention Center and “a majority of the major hotels along the Strip.” The company will also provide limited service to high-traffic events at The Sphere and T-Mobile Arena, and eventually plans to send its robotaxi on trips to Harry Reid International Airport. Starting this spring, Zoox is also expanding where it will offer rides in the eastern half of San Francisco, covering “the Marina, North Beach, and Chinatown, as well as Pacific Heights and along the Embarcadero.”

Besides being able to pick up riders in more places, Zoox is rolling out two product updates to improve the experience of riding in its robotaxis. “Find My Zoox” will let the company’s robotaxis use “distinct lighting and sound cues,” to signal to riders which robotaxi is theirs, and “Zooxcast” will let riders play their audio over Bluetooth while they’re in a robotaxi.

In comparison to all the cities Waymo currently offers its robotaxis, Zoox is playing catch-up, but the company is also approaching its business a bit differently. Zoox is focused on using custom robotaxi for rides, while Waymo has expanded quickly on the back of cars retrofitted with the sensors that makes its Waymo Driver software work. Waymo plans to incorporate its own robotaxis co-developed with Geely into its fleet over time, but for now, rides with Zoox are a bit more bespoke.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/transportation/zoox-is-bringing-its-robotaxi-to-new-cities-and-expanding-coverage-in-las-vegas-and-san-francisco-195410391.html?src=rss 

Apple could give Siri a standalone app and an ‘Ask Siri’ button in iOS 27

Bloomberg‘s Mark Gurman has been sharing every incremental update about what Apple’s long-awaited Siri overhaul will and won’t include. His latest article claims that the AI assistant will have a standalone app and will introduce an “Ask Siri” feature that could mark a decidedly different direction in how users will interact with the platform. 

Gurman reports that Siri is being designed to leverage personal data from messages, emails and notes to complete requests. Siri will also allegedly be able to execute tasks within apps, access news and conduct web searches. The “Ask Siri” angle means people will be able to make their requests in conversational, natural language formats by either text or voice, which has not been an option in Apple’s platform and appears to confirm that the company wants Siri to function akin to other AI chatbots. These improvements are still expected to be a part of the iOS 27 and macOS 27 updates.

The official announcement of the reimagined Siri is expected to happen during WWDC 2026. Apple’s summer showcase is happening over June 8-12, with the keynote and Siri news likely happening on June 8. There have already been so many delays, even just in the past two months, that it’s hard to know how substantive the first parts of the Siri overhaul will be. We know direct from the company that Google Gemini will be powering the new Siri, but that’s the only real confirmation Apple has offered as the redesign process has dragged on.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/ai/apple-could-give-siri-a-standalone-app-and-an-ask-siri-button-in-ios-27-202802492.html?src=rss 

Splitgate’s 1047 Games is starting work on a Titanfall-style movement shooter

At the close of a video announcing the second season of Splitgate: Arena Reloaded, the company’s co-founder and CEO Ian Proulx revealed that “a small section of the team” has started work on a new game. He said that the next project will be a movement shooter in the style of Titanfall and Black Ops 3.

Those two tidbits are really all that 1047 Games had to share. People can sign up to participate when playtesting begins, but considering the latest release is only just hitting its second season, it’s a safe bet that we’ll have a while before this project gets a title and a trailer, much less a release window. 

Splitgate is a well-made game with smart traversal and movement mechanics, so it’s likely that they’ll have good ideas to bring to this sliding and gliding subgenre of FPS. Whether players will continue supporting 1047 Games is a different question. The studio leadership bungled a lot of things in the past year, starting with Proulx’s questionable fashion choices and even more questionable handling of said choices. 1047 Games also pulled a bait-and-switch with the release of Splitgate 2, yanking it back to beta after release and cutting jobs before re-releasing and reimagining the sequel as Splitgate: Arena Reloaded in December. 

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/gaming/splitgates-1047-games-is-starting-work-on-a-titanfall-style-movement-shooter-192551191.html?src=rss 

AccuWeather is now available inside ChatGPT

Who among us hasn’t tormented over the burden of having to exit an AI app to check the weather? Well, I haven’t, and I’m guessing you haven’t either. But AccuWeather has a solution regardless. On Tuesday, the company rolled out a ChatGPT app to spare… someone that pain.

Snark aside, there may be a few niche situations where this provides a slight advantage. AccuWeather suggests asking ChatGPT, “When is the best time this afternoon to go for a run with the most comfortable weather conditions?” or “Will it rain on my planned vacation this weekend?” Of course, you could just read the dang forecast to get those same answers. But hey, to each their own.

After you’ve connected the AccuWeather app to your ChatGPT account, your weather-related queries will be answered in an interactive weather module. Available info includes MinuteCast, RealFeel and RealFeel Shade.

This isn’t the first time AccuWeather has adapted its service — perhaps questionably — to emerging technologies. In 2017, it pushed out a virtual reality app for Samsung’s Gear VR headset. Engadget noted at the time that it “sounds like one of the least exciting VR experiences imaginable.”

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/ai/accuweather-is-now-available-inside-chatgpt-192637363.html?src=rss 

For All Mankind is returning for a sixth and final season

Apple TV’s long-running sci-fi show For All Mankind has just been renewed for a sixth and final season, ahead of this week’s season five premiere. This seems more like the natural endpoint of the story instead of a cancellation, according to remarks made by some of the creators.

“Getting to explore the For All Mankind universe over six seasons has been an amazing privilege, and we’re thrilled to have the opportunity to finish the story the way we’ve always hoped,” co-creators and showrunners Matt Wolpert and Ben Nedivi said. “We’re incredibly proud of what this series has become, and grateful to Apple TV and Sony Pictures Television for helping us see it through to its final chapter.”

The plan for the show has always been to bring it up to the modern day and it looks like the creators will get to do just that. Season five takes place in the 2010s, which gives season six plenty of time to catch up to the 2020s.

For the uninitiated, For All Mankind is an alt-history series that started in the 1960s with Russia beating America to the moon. The show absolutely loves time jumps, with each season covering a decade or two.

That initial discrepancy with our reality has ballooned into all kinds of butterfly effect-type stuff. For instance, humanity quickly moved beyond the moon to occupy Mars. Al Gore also got to be president in that timeline.

Despite the numerous time jumps, several of the show’s original cast members are still on board. Joel Kinnaman’s character, astronaut Ed Baldwin, is quite literally in his 80s at this point. The actor must be getting tired of all of those fake wrinkles.

Apple TV has unveiled first-look photos for “Star City,” the upcoming “For All Mankind” spinoff series that explores the same story from Russia’s point of view.

The series will debut with two episodes May 29 on Apple TV, running through July 10.https://t.co/QFE7hDgBRw pic.twitter.com/t6fXW8h6c6

— Variety (@Variety) February 26, 2026

In any event, season five of For All Mankind premieres on March 27. The mainline show is coming to a close, but there’s still a spin-off to look forward to. Star City premieres on May 29. This looks to be a take on the events of the original show from the perspective of Russia.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/entertainment/tv-movies/for-all-mankind-is-returning-for-a-sixth-and-final-season-173859683.html?src=rss 

Apple confirms ads are coming to Apple Maps

Apple Maps will soon have ads, Apple confirmed in a blog post announcing the company’s new Apple Business platform. Reports that Apple planned to expand its ad business outside of the App Store and Apple News broke as recently as yesterday, but the company has been rumored to be exploring putting ads in its navigation app as far back as 2022.

Ads in Maps, as the new advertising program is called, will allow businesses to create ads that can appear “when users search in Maps,” at the top of search results and “at the top of a new Suggested Places experience in Maps, which will display recommendations based on what’s trending nearby, the user’s recent searches, and more,” Apple says. The program will be open to Apple Business customers in the US and Canada starting this summer. Any advertisers using the existing Apple Ads experience will also be able to book space in Apple Maps.

Like the other ads Apple offers to businesses in the App Store and Apple News, ads in maps will be clearly marked and are designed to maintain users’ privacy. What ads users interact with and their current location is not associated with their Apple Account, and personal data stays on user’s devices and isn’t shared with third-parties or collected by Apple.

Apple’s slow expansion into advertising most directly benefits its over $100 billion “Services” business, which covers obvious things like Apple TV and Apple Music, but also includes the fees it takes from in-app purchases made through the App Store and the money it makes selling advertising. At least so far, Apple’s ads are easy to ignore, and based on the samples provided as part of its announcement, that’ll stay true in Apple Maps.

Ads in Maps are bundled in Apple’s larger Apple Business program, an enterprise offering that’s designed to appeal to multiple different sizes of business. Apple Business includes things like mobile device management (for distributing apps and managing user accounts), the ability to set up a business email, calendar and web domain through Apple and the aforementioned Ads in Maps.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/apps/apple-confirms-ads-are-coming-to-apple-maps-175613751.html?src=rss 

Three new Gemini features come to Google TV

Google has announced a trio of new AI-powered features for its Google TV platform, after showing off smarter Gemini integration at CES back in January.

Google TV can now provide “richer visual help” when you ask it a question. Request the current sports scores, for example, and Gemini will bring up not only a live updating scorecard, but also where you can watch the game. If you’re looking for a recipe, it’ll pair its results with a video tutorial where possible.

If you’d rather learn something new than binge away at your latest Netflix fix, Google TV can also now do visual “deep dives” on topics that interest you. If there’s an economic trend, scientific phenomenon or technological innovation that’s on your mind, Gemini will create a “custom, interactive walkthrough” on the subject in question, allowing you to ask follow-up questions afterwards.

The idea is that the feature lets you turn “passive viewing into meaningful screen time.” It would appear that even your TV is now telling you off for watching too much TV. 

When you ask about a topic, you can either click “Dive deeper” to learn more, or navigate to the Gemini tab at the top of your home screen and select the “Learn” option.

The last new addition is Gemini-powered sports briefs, which function in the same way as the news briefs Google introduced last year, but strictly for sports. Designed as an alternative to checking your phone, you can ask your AI-assisted TV for “timely, narrated overviews” of the latest goings-on in any league you might follow. Already, the feature supports the NBA, NCAA basketball, NHL, MLS and NWSL, and it will live in the Gemini tab.

Deep dives and sports briefs are initially limited to those with Gemini-enabled devices in the US, with Google promising wider device support later in the spring. Richer visual help is rolling out today in the US and Canada, and Google has also announced that its various Gemini Google TV features are coming to more countries in 2026, starting with Australia, New Zealand and the UK in the coming months.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/entertainment/streaming/three-new-gemini-features-come-to-google-tv-175724155.html?src=rss 

‘Bridgerton’ Season 5: Updates on Trailer, Cast & When it’s Coming Out

For the first time in the show’s history, ‘Bridgerton’ will focus on a queer storyline between two female leads. Get all the details on the upcoming season.

For the first time in the show’s history, ‘Bridgerton’ will focus on a queer storyline between two female leads. Get all the details on the upcoming season. 

Pokémon Champions will hit Switch and Switch 2 on April 8

Pokémon Champions — a battle-focused game along the lines of Pokémon Stadium — now has a release date, and it’s pretty darn soon. It will hit Nintendo Switch and Switch 2 on April 8. A mobile version is in the works with support for cross-play with Nintendo’s consoles.

Nintendo released a new overview video that shows how the game works. You can recruit Pokémon in the game or transfer those you’ve found in previous titles and Pokémon Go via Pokémon Home. Then you’ll be able to take half a dozen of your Pokémon into strategic turn-based fights with other players. It’s definitely a Pokémon battle game! 

There are ranked battles, a casual mode, private lobbies and online competitions. You’ll earn victory points, which you can use to swap a Pokémon’s moves, increase their stat points and make other modifications. In addition, victory points enable you to recruit Pokémon in Pokémon Champions more than once per day. Pokémon that you recruit with victory points can stay in your roster permanently instead of just a week. There’s a shop too, where you can spend points on accessories, Pokéball throwing styles, victory poses and battle music.

Pokémon Champions will be the second new Pokémon game to arrive this year, following the success of Pokémon Pokopia. There’s more to come in the not-too-distant future, as Pokémon Wind and Pokémon Waves are scheduled to arrive on Switch 2 next year.

While Pokémon Pokopia is selling like hotcakes, the Switch 2 perhaps isn’t flying out of the door as quickly as Nintendo hoped. According to Bloomberg, Nintendo has cut back on production of the console after lower-than-expected sales over the holiday season. The company is said to be making 4 million units this quarter rather than the previously planned 6 million, with the lower production rate set to extend into April.

This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/gaming/nintendo/pokemon-champions-will-hit-switch-and-switch-2-on-april-8-165737121.html?src=rss 

Generated by Feedzy
Exit mobile version